The CC is an advisory committee to the Austin Artistic Reconstruction LLC to facilitate community input & transparency for the policy-making process and organization of burn community events.
To make it clear what this means, the following terms have specific meaning to our organizational body:
- Advisory: The CC is not a policy making body, but advises the LLC on policies for the event. The LLC has final decision making authority for all policies that affect events sponsored by Austin Artistic Reconstruction, LLC.
- Community Input: The LLC values the input of the community, but has struggled to effectively gather and get feedback from the community on issues related to Flipside (growth, event policies, etc). The CC is focused on gathering objective and factual community input to aid the LLC in decision making.
- Facilitate: The CC facilitates communication with the community, but is not the only avenue for communication. The CC will proactively seek communication on issues that have been identified (by the LLC, the CC, or the community at large) as needing community input.
- Transparency: The CC makes a commitment to conduct itself as an open-book organization, providing meeting minutes, documentation for its recommendations to the LLC, open meetings, and clear communication about the policy making process and its results.
- Burn Community Events: Events sponsored by Austin Artistic Reconstruction, LLC, including Flipside, Town Hall meetings, and events held on property rented by AAR LLC.
Some of the things the Combustion Chamber is not:
- The CC is not a group of managers for the volunteers. The CC is composed of community members who may have roles as volunteer leads or volunteers at events in addition to being a member of the CC.
- The CC is not a policy making body. The LLC is the final authority on policy related to events. The CC advises on these policies.
- The CC is not the only way to communicate to the LLC or the volunteer leads. Anyone in our community is welcome to communicate with the LLC or anyone else in the organization.
- The CC is not a black box. Anyone is welcome to come to our meetings. We will run these meetings in an open format that will give people time to speak and address issues. The only requirement is to ask for scheduled time if you intend to address a specific issue.
Please contact us if you have any questions.
Read more about the CC members.